5. Here’s a thoroughly unimpressed Belle sharing a platter of oranges with what happens if a beaver bangs a walrus:
6. Moving on! In 1908, Le Theatre gave us this fabulous feathered Belle and the skunk-lion-man who kept her prisoner:
7. In this 1921 illustration, the beast is a lion who doesn’t understand why his hostage won’t cut him a freaking break:
8. This 1940s beast looks like the University of Arkansas mascot decided to go to the Renaissance fair and perform stand-up comedy:
9. This beast, from the 1946 film La Belle et la Bête, has the exasperated look of a man who just wishes his wife would stop saying she’s fine and tell him what’s wrong…
10. Let’s take another look at that beast…
…lot going on in that photo.
11. This 1975 beast is wearing tights, flats, a hot lil’ mini, and a drugstore Halloween mask. Belle, meanwhile, appears to have come straight from the set of the Little House on the Prairie TV series.
12. And, finally, here’s a TV show version of Beauty and the Beast that starred an ’80s high school mean girl Belle who has fallen for her captor, a woman who has had way too much plastic surgery: